Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Whole 30 progress

So my plan was to blog for all of you once a week, but since this is the FIRST week, I thought I would throw in an extra blog to let you know how I'm doing, because, you know, I'm supposed to be kind of batty this first week.

Well, not so much.  But let me explain:  as I said before, I don't drink coffee.  Wait, I do drink coffee, but only when absolutely necessary, filled with milk and sugar.  I don't enjoy the taste, and I am certainly not dependent on it to start my day.  So obviously I didn't even think about that.  While there have a been a few sugary things that look good to me, I haven't had any cravings for them (not unusual for me).  I thought I would be longing after all the foods I can't have, but i really haven't.  My willpower has been pretty strong (I know, color me surprised!), but generally my meals keep me pretty full.  Yesterday I just had a handful of raw cashews for lunch.  That's a no-no, so I promise not to do that again. (I know, Hartwigs, 3 meals!).  At this point, you're saying, "Serene.  You've only made it through 4 days."  HEY!  I dare you to try it!

There have been things that I looked at and thought "just one taste?", but they (from now on you can assume that when I say THEY in relation to this program, I am referring to the authors of the book it starts with food, and the whole 30 program, Dallas & Melissa Hartwig) are pretty adamant that there are no "one-bite" cheats.  So alas, NO SOUP FOR YOU!  (Completely lost on you if you aren't a Seinfeld fan).

My mom will be surprised at the breakfasts I am eating (I'm not much of a breakfast person), which have been yummy, but I have a feeling I'm going to run out of ideas fast.  I'm already a little sick of eggs.  I might go back to my ways of high school and have dinner for breakfast.  I'm a weirdo.  I would eat leftover Chinese food at 7am.  So maybe now it will be grilled chicken and broccoli.  Sounds like a good way to start the day!  Gosh, I can hear you in my head! "Why not try those gluten-free waffles, pancaked, etc or some oatmeal?"  .... 1) Oatmeal is off limits too.  Grains.  2) I'm sure those gluten-free items still have a form of sugar.  I can't even have maple syrup or honey, which is the substitute for most people.   3). They generally say that you shouldn't eat the foods that fool your body.  It doesn't help you break the habit.


When I wanted to cheat (but didn't):

- Making dark chocolate brownies that my grandmother requested.  Mmmm batter.

- Red wings game:  0 items to eat.  Everyone eating pizza and beer.  Another time that I was surprised that it was the beer I really wanted.  Not even BW3 (buffalo wild wings for you younger folks - they changed their name) had their "naked" wings without breading.  I held out and just drank water, and ate a banana when I got home.  Surprisingly, I only needed to satiate my hunger, there was no cravings once I got home.

- I already know I'm going to want a tailgate beer after my hockey game tonight.  It's part of the game - hanging out in the parking lot.  Again with the beer ... And I know I'm not an alcoholic, but it definitely shows how much a part of life it is.

Yeah that's it in the 4 days


How I feel:

Not much different.  I haven't woken up in the middle of the night since I started.  I always get up to pee, or because I crave cheese.  I want to give this another week to make sure it's the program and not something else.  So far no extra clear thinking or amazing energy.  I didn't really expect that after 4 days.  Ok, yeah I did.  I also haven't seen any weight loss (Im actually not allowed to weigh myself per the rules, but I don't anyway - I mean I haven't FELT any weight loss), but I feel less bloaty.  You girls know what Im talking about.


Here's what I've been eating:

Breakfasts:  Sweet potato hash with 2 fried eggs, and Egg scramble with onion, pepper, sausage, tomato, and sprouts on top for crunch.  Side of strawberries.

 
Lunch at work:  Salad with grilled chicken, cuc, sprouts, peppers, blueberries, dried cranberries, pecans.  Guacamole on cucumber, fruit salad  (I had this twice).  Second day I added an apple with homemade almond butter made with raw almonds, coconut oil, himalayan salt, and cinnamon.  Yum!  I love my VitaMix!




I can do this!

Peace. Love. Serene.



No comments:

Post a Comment