Sunday, October 27, 2013

Why I love Halloween

Halloween is this Thursday and I am so excited!

I think I am going to make a small "alter" dedicated to those who have passed.  If you didn't know, it is the day that the veil between the planes is the weakest, and those who are dead may enter our plane and walk among the living.

Why do I love this month?  

The crunch of leaves under my feet
The smell of fresh pumpkin when carving
Wearing sweaters and boots, but maybe not the jackets yet
The magic in the air
The smell of pumpkin seeds roasting in the oven
Apples in everything


Some Halloween fun I've had this year:

- Attempting making caramel apples, and failing, several times.  Ok, maybe not so fun.  But homemade caramel is soooo much better than the stupid Kraft caramels.  I finally got a good recipe, and then can't get it to set up before sliding off the apple.  I think I need to call someone at the Food Network.

- Fun nail art.  Not the easiest to do, but worth the effort!



- Carving my pumpkins






Some great Halloween facts:

- The word Halloween comes from All Hallows Eve, which was from the Catholic Chuch (All Hallows Day or All Saints Day on Nov 1) to replace Samhain "Summer's End", which was the pagan new year.  Many of the Catholic holidays have corresponding times with pagan holidays to make the conversion to the Catholic church easier and more desirable.

- Jack o Lanterns were originally turnips, rutabagas, or potatoes carried as lanterns

- We wear costumes so that the evil spirits get confused and think we are one of them.

- In Alabama, it's illegal to dress up as a priest

- Harry Houdini died on Halloween in 1926

- During the celebration of Samhain, Druids would light fires to ensure the sun would return after the long, hard, winter.  Druid priests would throw cattle bones on the fire, therefore it became known as a "bone fire" which is now "bonfire"

- A full moon on Halloween is extremely rare, but we will see one on Oct. 31, 2020.


No comments:

Post a Comment