Monday, June 16, 2014

Geocaching

I've been looking at geocaching emails for about 2 years, and I've had the app for about a year, and I JUST searched out my FIRST geocache!

Geocaching /ˈˌkæʃɪŋ/ is an outdoor recreational activity, in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world.

A few Sundays ago I was at work, and was fiddling with the app, and put in my current location.  It turns out there was one hidden that was VERY CLOSE!  So after I closed up the office, I deposited my computer in my car, and opened my app & GPS to find the little sucker.  First I looked at the map to see its approximate location (although this felt a little bit like cheating since maps are so accurate), and then when I got closer, I switched to the GPS coordinates.

I didn't have to go far - it was in the far corner of the parking lot of my office!  That's how close it was ALL THIS TIME!  It was placed there in 2011, and it was a well-taped and waterproofed pill bottle glued to a magnet.  It was stuck to the underside of the guard rail between the parking lot and the gas station, and it was SO COOL!  This one just had a sign-in sheet, which I happily added my name to, but I know others have little prizes inside, so I have to remember to have something to trade.



Dare I say Im going to be geocaching in every city I visit?  The thrill of the hunt!  The feeling of flight of the navigator!  Ahhhhh!


WHO'S READY FOR SOME GEOCACHING?

Peace.  Love.  Serene.

No comments:

Post a Comment